Friday, February 3, 2012

Creativity Block & Healthy Food...Jazz Hands!

9:13 AM...having a morning on a Friday to myself for the next fifteen minutes is pretty rare these days.   I'm weeks into my corporate internship and quickly approaching that half way point.  I should be excited...should be...right?  Well, not really.

I feel like I've learned some stuff but not until recently.  It a bit depressing actually.  Until last night, I couldn't figure out what was the problem.  I LOVE the world of food and every part of it:  the aroma, the textures, interesting shapes, location, history and all in between but I kept it to myself for the last week or so that I am a bit disappointed.

I knew off the back that I wouldn't be building rocket ships with my food on the first day but damn, by my midpoint, I expected on learning something else aside from using a fucking can opener to pop open dented lids (to all of my food freaks, yes...please gasp at that...).  Just thought about it in my moment of not defined or diagnosed Food ADD but dented cans are dangerous.  For people who are not aware, please look up the term "botulism" as a homework assignment.  See how warm, fuzzy and mushy you get inside to the thought of botulism.  Let's even use it in a sentence:

"Hey botulism, I have this weird feeling every time I get around you.  First you love me up with all of your deliciousness and then, I'm overwhelmed by your intoxicating power to asphyxiate me.  Is this counted as an abusive relationship, botulism?"

Back at the ranch, I feel like I'm yearning for creativity and innovative plates.  I want to learn new cooking techniques.  Make some food that I would have never thought about making.  I want to try Chilean Sea Bass with a spicy marinade.  Sorry to be so snobbish but I am not turned on by MayPloy (bottled sweet chili sauce) when I can make it myself.  These days, I've been amusing myself by reading the back of the labels of the stuff that I make for food production.  For Christ Sake...I am baffled and disheartened by the preservatives.

Interestingly enough, I had a great conversation with two of my chef buddies of mine who must have schooled me about the wonderful dangers of fish and industry bullshit.  Let's say, I'm not thrilled about the wonders of tilapia, shrimp and the idea that my fish is taking in more caffeine than I ever desired to have.  I thought I was doing myself some justice to decline a cup of mojo every chance I get...suppose not.

Pan Seared Red Snapper
Some days, I enjoy eating and others...
Being on a diet doesn't help at all.  C'mon people...JAZZ HANDS.  It's fucking healthy food which means no chocolate, no cake, no cookies, eliminating most of my starches, wave bye bye to Monsieur Pork most days of the month and to hell with your chicken...better find her organic or there's going to be some trouble.  My body and mind is finding it extremely hard to stay away from the toxic shit.  At the very least, I hate most fast food places.  ((LEVEL UP))

I'm turning into a culinary prude by the day.  Cursed out my fish purveyor of over five years for selling me shit faced fish with greyish black eyes and a big ass exaggerated looking bubble masturbating my intellect out of its mouth...can't make this shit up.  Now, I am in a heavy pursuit of looking for new places to buy food...even if it means I have to go travel to effin Manhattan to do so.

We take advantage of simple shit on a daily basis yet I find it hard to get fresh, healthy food.  I've been polluted by so much junk food for 26 1/2 years that my body is having a bowel war.  Very TMI but I watched oil leave my ass...actual OIL.  Scared the living shit out of me.  Got extremely nauseaus and the next day, literally felt lighter and this was from one week of detoxing from practically everything.  If the saying, "you are what you eat" is really true then I'm truly full of shit.  Until culinary school, what I thought was healthy actually didn't mean shit.  I deserve much more than mediocrity...WE deserve much more than mediocrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment